Monday, July 7, 2008

Roll'em Girls Roll'em

Look Of The Day [July 6/2008] 1

My grandmother was born in 1911 and I used to love sitting at her feet as she braided and unbraided my hair over and over and told me stories of her youth. Like the time her 7 older siblings took her out of the house without permission and went to play stick ball in the park, and someone managed to accidentally slap her in the face with the stick because she was only two years old and in the way, and then they asked her to lie to their parents about what really happened. She told me about her friend "Tootsie" who loved to sunbathe till she was a bronze beauty. And she told me of her teen years during the Roaring 20s', when the girls would sing a song called "Roll'em Girls Roll'em" as they rolled their silk stockings down to expose bare knees, very racy stuff.

This look reminds me of those days she spoke of, and what took me back there in an instant is this absolutely remarkable millinery masterpiece by Morrigan Hyun of Elegance Hats. The Cecily Art Deco Hat is brilliant, a silver sculpted nude with fans and feathers, bringing Erte to mind. It is wearable sculpture and something I had to buy the minute I saw it. I wanted to wear the perfect matching dress, but what does one wear with such a hat? Then I remembered a great flapper dress called the RKO Girl from *Simone!* that I had nabbed for a costume event ages ago, it is the perfect Art Deco Match, the sexy stockings and Silver Deco Armbands are included. I pulled in this great 1920's Black Beaded Bag from Yummy, a freebie, that was era perfect. And of course, some classic retro pumps, these from 1-800-Bettie's.

Look Of The Day [July 6/2008] 2

When I think flapper, I think short bobbed hair framing the face in Clara Bow style. My favorite Bob is the Aveda Institute Short Bob from ETD, perfect because it isn't. The skin is Celestial Studios Charmed Skin in Red Dusk, a lovely dramatic eye and crimson lips, eyes are from Freak Fantasia. Oh how I love a step back in time, and this one made me feel closer to my beloved grandmother.

Shopping Information:
Dress - *Simone!*, RKO Girl (Red, Includes Stockings and Arm Bands)[Available OnRez]
Hat – Elegance Hats, Cecily Art Deco Hat
Shoes – 1-800-Bettie’s, Slingback Pumps (Black)
Bag – (Yummy), Freebie Vintage 1920s Black Bead Bag
Hair – ETD, Aveda Institute – Short Bob (Noir)
Skin – Celestial Studios, Charmed Line (Tone 20, red-Dusk)
Eyes – Freak Fantasia, Glassy Mustard Green

No comments: